Certificate in Culinary Arts
Earn a Culinary Arts Certificate at Thompson Rivers University
Get the skills and expertise you need to find a job in the food preparation industry.
Join this three-semester program covering Professional Cook certifications from the Industry Training Authority. Hands-on training includes Professional Cook 1 (30 weeks), Professional Cook 2 (14 weeks) and work experience (three months).
|Intake:||January / September|
This Culinary Arts Certificate at Thompson Rivers University has been an integral part of the campus and community for more than four decades. Foundation skills, creativity, teamwork and professionalism are nurtured and encouraged by the instructors. Be a cook in “real life” working kitchens and learn all aspects of the food preparation industry, from production to service. The restaurants in the Culinary Arts Training Centre showcase your efforts.
It feels really good because it’s been a long journey since I got here. It feels like quite an achievement because I didn’t know a lot about cooking when I started the program, but I kept catching up and catching up and here I am today. It’s such a wonderful feeling and I didn’t know that I was the first international student, so that makes it extra special.
Nishant Doshi, TRU’s First International Red Seal Cook
- Block A: Occupational skills
- Block B: Stock, soups and sauces
- Block C: Vegetables and fruits
- Block D: Starches
- Block E: Meats
- Block F: Poultry
- Block G: Seafood
- Block H: Garde manger
- Block I: Eggs, breakfast cookery and dairy
- Block J: Baked goods and desserts
- Block K: Beverages
- The Culinary program at TRU is a great opportunity for those looking to attain the foundation for a high performance career in the culinary industry.
- The program structure involves both theory and practice to develop sound culinary skills and knowledge.
- The timeline contains a summer break from May to August which provides students with opportunity to gain formalized work experience and complete the mandatory Industry Training Authority (ITA) Workplace Training hours.
- All of your instruction will take place in our industrial kitchens providing excellent facilities and experienced instructors to help you learn your craft.
- During your training, students are involved in realistic kitchen environments preparing food for service in our Scratch Café and the renowned Accolades Dining Room