Applied Sustainable Ranching Diploma
Earn a Applied Sustainable Ranching Diploma at Thompson Rivers University
Develop hands-on skills in humane animal care, stockmanship, dog training, fencing, equipment maintenance and safe operating procedures with the Applied Sustainable Ranching course at Thompson Rivers University
|Intake:||January / September|
|Location:||Williams Lake, Canada / Blended / Online|
Learn how to identify opportunities for enterprise diversification and touch on key success factors and average production/income benchmarks for sheep, poultry, purebred livestock, greenhouse, vegetables, fruits and berries, on farm processing, value added, farm store, and tourism.
What to Expect?
- Participate in real-life ranching operations in BC
- Gain employment-ready experience
- Understand how ranch and rangeland ecosystems react to management decisions
- Understand livestock needs and how to best manage the natural environment to produce nutritious proteins to feed the world
- Learn to design ranching enterprises that fit the environment and resources while providing a return on investment
- Experience a program that is built in BC to address the needs of the local ranching environment
- Learn to develop and fine-tune enterprise management around the unique market opportunities in your region
Before coming to TRU, I couldn’t even imagine how fast my life would change here. TRU gave
me all the opportunities I was looking for to unearth my true potential. I’ve met people from
various parts of the world, gained real-world work experience and most importantly, I have
learned more about myself. Being a part of the TRU community has been one of the most
meaningful and rewarding experiences in my life. One of the best things I did in my program
was my co-op. I put my learning into direct practice right away and that helped me secure a full
time position after I graduated.
Tatiana Fedotova, Events Co-ordinator
Imagine your place in the future of sustainable ranching and agriculture.
As the need for financially and environmentally sustainable ranching and agricultural operations grow, people with hands-on industry experience and business acumen will increasingly be in demand.
As a graduate of the Applied Sustainable Ranching course at Thompson Rivers University program you may discover career opportunities within areas such as:
- Customer service or retail manager
- Farm input sales
- Land manager
- Ranch hand
- Ranch operations manager